Monday, September 3, 2012

H&P is the word

With my first week of Family Medicine behind me I feel a bit more confident in the skills that Ross University has tough me. The clinic I am in is a community center primarily dealing with men in a substance abuse program. I have had the opportunity to perform full adult  male H&Ps and practice my 100 point checklist many times. The comprehensive physical exam we learned in fifth semester has really let me shine during this first week and without giving specific details I have stood out and made an impression that will benefit me in the future.  Medical problems I have come across is diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidimia, alcoholism, substance abuse, smoking, abdominal pain, back pain, diabetic abscess and lots and lots of normal physical exams. I have had ample opportunity to practice collecting a history on a healthy male. I have had a chance to assist in an abscess excision, practice taking vital signs, and draw blood. So far I have been very pleased with my experience. I have one more week at this community center before I move on to a new clinic. Looking forward to what the new week brings.

No comments: