Saturday, November 10, 2012

OB-Gyn is nearly over

As another rotation nears its end I find myself reflecting on how much I have learned over the last 12 weeks. So far my experience in Miami has been wonderful. Although I must admit that rotations are truly what you make of them. They can be great or awful and I have seen examples of this within my own rotations and with my own classmates. Some have great experiences, Like me!, and some have a terribly difficult time. Rule # 1 is that you must learn to be your own advocate. When you are not learning enough or seeing enough you must involve yourself by getting to know the nurses, expressing your interest and by being proactive. This has held true in my OB rotation. Once I asserted myself and the doctor realized I wanted to learn as much as possible he allowed me to be as involved as I wanted to be. I got to know the unit secretary and she would call me when my doctor group had something going on.

So what have I gotten to do on this rotation you might ask? Well I have done numerous well woman exams with pap smears and pelvic exams, I've scrubbed into numerous surgeries and even been allowed to assist by holding instruments, suctioning and removing organs, I have learned different suturing techniques, assisted in C-sections, I"ve been the first one to lay hands on a new baby. I've helped deliver 2 babies vaginally and assisted with the suturing. I've been involved in laparoscopy, hysterectomies, tubal ligation, and histeroscopy with polyp removals. I"ve seen to many things to really mention but mostly I have learned great compassion for women of all ages, which I think i have always had but it truly has resurfaced. Ob-Gyn is on top of my list as future career. I feel so blessed and have thoroughly enjoyed my days in this rotation. I have one week left and my shelf exam on Tuesday then I'm off to Internal Medicine.
That is me on the right, scrubbing into a C-Section with another Rossie.

No comments: